Information for Justices of the Peace

There are approximately 2900 Justices of the Peace (JPs) in Western Australia perform a valuable and important role within the justice system and in the community.

JPs are expected to perform their duties consistently and be available to the public whenever possible. There is a genuine need for JPs to assist with court duties, at document witnessing centres and other places.

One of the criteria looked at in the appointment process is whether the locality is well served.

JPs who are no longer able to perform the duties of a JP may be preventing other enthusiastic and available people from taking on the role, due to the perception that there are a sufficient number of JPs in the area.

JPs who are no longer active

If you are no longer able to be actively involved as a JP, you should tender your signed resignation in writing to:

JP Branch
Department of Justice
GPO Box F317
PERTH  WA  6841


Change of name or contact details

The Justice of the Peace Act 2004 (the Act) requires that a register of JPs be maintained and that information in that register be made available to the public The Act also requires JPs to notify the JP Branch of any change of their address and contact details within 30 days of the change.

Failure to notify the JP Branch of your change of contact details may result in inconvenience to members of the public requiring the services of a JP. In addition you will not be updated on policy and training material, and where contact details cannot be ascertained, your commission as a JP may be revoked.

If you have changed your contact details please complete and return the change of contact details form below.

If you have changed your name you will also need to provide a photocopy of your marriage certificate or change of name by licence form.

Last updated: 22-Jan-2020

[ back to top ]