Victim Services

As a victim of crime, making decisions can be difficult and confusing.

During this time, it is vital that a victim is treated with courtesy, compassion and respect.

If you become a victim of crime, you can contact the Department of Justice's Victim Support and Child Witness Service to get support and advice.

It offers confidential support for victims of crime and includes three areas of service:

It is not necessary for a person to be charged with an offence before you are eligible for support from the Victim Support Service. Referrals can only be made to the Child Witness Service once charges are laid.

The Corrective Services Division of Department of Justice provides mediation between victims and offenders through the Victim-offender Mediation Unit. The unit can advise victims on the offender's movement, release or escape from custody through the Victim Notification Register.

Last updated: 21-May-2018

[ back to top ]